"Money and time are the heaviest burdens of life, and the unhappiest of all mortals are those who have more of either than they know how to use." Samuel Johnson

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

An Audience of Two



I used to love to take a nice, long, hot shower. Any stress or worry would fall away with the water, and I would daydream about my life or about the day, whatever came to mind. Yes, I used to love to take a shower. That is, of course, until they went from being thirty minutes to thirty seconds! Instead of being a relaxing distraction, they are now necessary as I wash off dog hair, baby spit up, and whatever else has landed on me throughout the morning.
The funniest part about my present-day showers is the ever present, ever attentive, ever interesting audience of two. My three year old dog, Luke, and my twelve month old son, Benjamin, make their way into the bathroom in order to make sure that everything is okay. Perhaps they want to make sure that I don’t miss a spot, although I suspect they just want to make sure that I am not having too much fun without them!
I love my little audience of two! They are always there, always watching, always by my side. I vaguely remember a time when I was single, on my own. What did I do with all of that free time? Oh, I remember. I read a lot of books, ran a lot of miles, and ate a lot of food! I also napped regularly. I still do these things; the only difference is that I do them in five minute increments, in between feeding and cleaning the baby and feeding and cleaning the dog.
I would say that my favorite thing about these two is the fact that everything that I do seems to be funny to them. The other day, I was practicing a sacred dance. I was taking myself rather seriously until, around the same time, Benjamin began to laugh hysterically at my hand movements and Luke began to jump up and push me over. It was as if they were saying to me, “Come on! You are not smiling enough! Let’s play!”
I love my little audience of two. It often makes me wonder what I ever did without them!

2 comments:

The Hamons said...

That is awesome! I can picture that moment very clearly!!

Kathleen said...

Look how sweet that picture is! He's such a cutie!!!!!!!!