"Money and time are the heaviest burdens of life, and the unhappiest of all mortals are those who have more of either than they know how to use." Samuel Johnson

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Of babies, pancakes, and the importance of a listening ear

Why are some people friends with others? I've come to realize that a connection is not only made with people who are like you. Some will tell you that if you are not of the same race, generation, political belief, or socio-economic background as another, you cannot be friends.

Well, I beg to differ! I have a friend with whom, on the surface, I have very little in common. As a matter of fact, after really thinking about it, the only three things that we really have in common are babies and a love of God and pancakes. How these three things have made us so close, I must admit I don't understand, since I have struggled to even be around certain people who have pages of things in common with me!

However, I have learned to appreciate the gift of friendship, no matter what the connection. So I will continue to love my baby, stuff my face with pancakes, and follow God's direction and not the world's!

No comments: