"Money and time are the heaviest burdens of life, and the unhappiest of all mortals are those who have more of either than they know how to use." Samuel Johnson

Monday, February 18, 2008

If I were Queen of the Foreeeeest!







When I was a young girl, my mother would tell me how much she loved me. I think that she thought that I didn't understand quite how much, so she would often follow it with, "When you have your own child, you'll understand." This was often said with tears in her eyes, and I must admit that I wondered why she was so emotional!

Here I am, with a child of my own, and I cry when I tell him how much I love him. Motherhood certainly causes one to step back and see what is really important in life. Worry also comes with the territory, as well as extreme defensiveness. I am a defensive person anyway, but now I am like a proud lioness protecting her cub from any and all threats. Of course many of them are created or intensified in my own mind, but it doesn't change the fact that it really hurts, something that I didn't realize would be so powerful.

However, seeing so many young women who don't take their roles as "mother" at all seriously, I would rather be a protective mommy than one who doesn't care. Notice, I didn't say 'overportective'! I'd say that the biggest surprise to me is that I am a much more laid back mother than I ever thought I would be. Thank God for that!

2 comments:

The Hamons said...

Hey there!!
SO good to hear from you! Benjamin IS beautiful (though, you're right about the mommy bias, 'cause he's not more beautiful than my Evan! :) tee-hee!)

Larry said...

hey...wait a few years....even when they drive you crazy, you won't love them any less. in fact, you will love them more.

welcome to blogoshere...wait till your uj starts reading....he will have lots to say.

ul